So pinterest is a terrible evil that has stolen countless hours of my life…but it does have some good ideas on it. This is my take on the storage idea found here:
First, I had to find some storage bins. We just got them from Target, making sure they had robust edges that could hold the weight of the full bins. Then I got 2x4s and 2x6s, some 90 degree brackets, a mess of screws, and some monster 4″ screws with matching washers.
I measured enough wood to make two rows of two bins each (3 rows of wood to hold 2 rows of bins). Each row of wood required 2 2x4s and a 2×6. It is quite important that the wood be unwarped since they get screwed together.
1) I used 3 screws in each set of 2 2x4s to hold them together during the next steps.
2) I laid the 2x4s on the 2x6s and carefully centered them, leaving an inch on either edge. Then I drew an outline of the 2x4s on the 2×6 so I would know where to place the brackets.
3a) After putting two brackets on both sides, I made sure the 2x4s fit and moved on to mounting them in the ceiling. I used a larger spade bit to countersink the bolt and washer into the 2×4, since that is the side to which the 2×6 will attach. Then I used a smaller spade bit to drill the rest of the way through the pair of 2x4s so the bolt just slid through. I did step 3b at the same time, so I would know where to put these holes in the 2x4s.
3b) “Next” up is finding the joists that will hold the 2x4s. I use magnets to find studs or joists under drywall. I just hunt around until the magnet sticks to one of the screws holding the drywall in (and that pretty much has to be into a bit of the frame). I know that stud finders are super-cool, but magnets are cheaper (even the strong neodymium ones) and I have always thought that stud finders are too finicky. Once I located the joists, I measured the distance between them so that I could line up the holes in the 2x4s. I also drilled pilot holes into the joists so the rather large screws wouldn’t split them.
4) After getting everything lined up, I used a ratchet to screw the 2x4s to the ceiling.
5) Once the 2x4s were installed, Kendra held up the 2x6s while I screwed the brackets onto the 2x4s.
6) This was the tricky step. I measured the width of the bins and calculated the distance between the centers of the 2x4s. After measuring again…then a third time just to be safe (I subscribe to the axiom “measure 3 or more times, cut once”), I repeated steps 1-5 for the other two sets of beams.
7) Once the beams were all installed, it was time to see if the bins fit.
Now all the Christmas decorations have a home and aren’t taking up all the shelves in the laundry room!